Thursday, July 26, 2007

Climbing Mt Fuji

I decided to spend a couple of days in Mt Fuji but hadn't really decided whether I was going to climb it or not. I took the bus to the 5th station (at 2300m) and then decided that I did want to try an climb Fuji (the summit is 3776m!) I bought myself a walking stick and off I went!

The first part was pretty easy going - there was even a group of school kids walking it (they were under 10 at least!) - and it wasn't long before I got to the 6th station (2390m). After this, the route became a little more tiring with the path zig-zagging up the hill and sometimes making the tired walker climb up over rocks which wasn't fun for the knees! I got to the 7th station (2700m) and still felt pretty good. At the various huts en route, they will brand your stick so that you can track your route so I indulged in this!

By the time that I got to the 8th station (3020m), the clouds had come in and you couldn't see below or above you - just the path that you were walking on! It was pretty surreal especially as there was snow on the ground in places!

I got to the 'real' 8th station (3250m) and it was starting to get pretty cold plus I was feeling the effects of the altitude a bit. I had a rest (and a hot chocolate!) and carried on. By the time that I got to the 8.5 station (3450m), I didn't feel good enough to carry on. I was given some 'air' in a can from some friendly Japanese people and began to make the journey down - taking 2 hours over scree which really wasn't fun.

I got back to the 5th station after walking for 6 hours - my muscles were aching but I was glad that I'd made the trip up there. I won't be doing it again!!!!

No comments: