Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Obuse, Nagano & Nagoya

I took a day trip to the nearby town of Obuse - which is famous for the Ganshoin temple which has a massive painting of a phoenix on the ceiling. If you look at it (mainly by lying on the floor), the eyes are always looking at you! It was pretty cool.

I wandered around the town and saw their vineyards - some of the fancy grapes where being held in little bags! I ended up in a little chocolate shop and had a chocolate filled eclair (my idea of heaven!!)

The next day, I headed to Nagano and went to the Zennko-ji Temple. It was in a massive complex and I managed to watch a monk perform a ceremony that involved lots of drum banging. Then I went into the temple and walked along the underground passage - its completely in the dark and if you can find the 'key' you are guaranteed entry into paradise.
It was very bizarre as you could not see anything for about 10 minutes. I did find the key though - but everyone did!!!

That afternoon, I headed to Nagoya. I visited the castle (which has also been completely rebuilt) and it had an exhibition inside about the various Shoguns that lived there.

I wandered around the town and came across a a modern art sculpture - a giant swirl of metal. Not really sure what it was for though!

No comments: